City of Winters, TX
310 S. Main
Winters, TX 79567
310 S. Main
Historic Winters, TX
Appreciation for the past, focus on the future.
Winters, TX is located on U.S. Highway 83, Farm roads 1770 and 53, and the Missouri-Pacific Railroad, in north-central Runnels County. First settled in 1880 by the C. N. Curry and C. E. Bell families in near by Bluff Creek Valley, a mile southeast of the present town. Jack Mackey, a cowboy, suggested the town's name in honor of John N. Winters, a local rancher and land agent. Winters donated land for the first school. The post office was established in 1891 with Frederick Platte as postmaster. The population was 163 in 1892, and the town continued to grow. A brass band was organized in 1901 by Charles Tipton Grant and toured widely in West Texas for years. The Winters Recorder was published by W. D. Currier in 1903 and changed its name to Winters Enterprise in 1905. The population was 600 in 1909, when the Abilene and Southern Railway built an extension to Winters from Abilene. The first major industry was a cottonseed oil mill established in 1909, the year the town was incorporated. The plant closed in 1939. A public library was built in 1964 and improved in 1968. Manufactured items include air conditioning equipment, metals, lenses, outdoor lighted signs, and aircraft parts. Annual events include a show sponsored by the West Texas Shetland Pony Breeders Association. The 1980 population of 3,061 was a little more than double that in 1910 at 1,247. In 1970 Winters had ninety-six businesses. In 1990 the population was 2,905 and in 2000 the community had 140 businesses and 2,880 inhabitants.
Charlsie Poe, Runnels Is My County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1970). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
Blue Gap Post Office
Est. in 1878, Blue Gap was the first post office in Runnels County. Named for a gap in Table Mountain, Blue Gap was used until 1882 when it was transferred to the town of Content 2 miles north. The one-room structure has hand-cut cedar rafters, hand-made shingle roof, and walls made out of roughly-hewn logs.The last postmaster was Alfred A. Hanscomb in 1880. Blue Gap also served as a stop on the Round Rock to Buffalo Gap stage route. The cabin was restored in the early 2000's and is now one of Winters' most recognizable landmarks.
Click HERE to learn more.
Click HERE to learn more about the Winters Public Library.
The Rock Hotel
Constructed in 1909 with local stones, The Rock Hotel was constructed at the same time as the Abilene & Southern Railroad was completed. Being just a block away from the train depot, The Rock Hotel gave travelers a place to stay, while helping feed Winters' economy.
Click HERE to learn more about The Rock Hotel.
The Drummer House
Traveling Salesmen in the early 1900's used to be referred to as "Drummers." This house provided shelter for those salesmen traveling in and out of Runnels County. Click HERE to learn more.
The Queen Movie Theatre
Established in 1926 and closed in 1952, the Queen Movie Theatre was the most pristine movie venue in the area.
To learn more about the Queen Movie Theatre click HERE.
Learn More About Winters History
Thank you to the Zi Hale Museum. Please call, CLICK or come see us!
242 W Dale St, Winters, TX 79567, USA